Children’s teeth are essential for their overall growth and development. Baby teeth may eventually fall out and be replaced by permanent teeth, but it does not mean that they should be disregarded. The baby teeth serve as the guide for the proper eruption of the permanent teeth. Once damaged it can jeopardize the proper growth of the adult teeth and cause dental problems that may require intensive treatments.
Thanks to the preventive and comprehensive treatments offered by dentistry, dental complications can be easily avoided by taking care of the signs promptly. At Sweetpea Smiles, we provide Dental Sealants as part of our services to ensure the overall health of children.
Dental Sealants are plastic coatings that are directly applied on the Molars (back teeth) to serve as a barrier against plaque and acid attacks that can cause damage. Children’s molars usually consist deep grooves and pits are hard to clean even with the use of a thin-bristle toothbrush. The area is vulnerable to damage since it can harbor harmful bacterias that cannot be reached properly by normal cleaning.
How are Dental Sealants Applied?
- The dentist will start by thoroughly cleaning the child’s teeth including its deep grooves and fissures to make sure that there will be no underlying issue once the sealant is applied.
- The procedure is noninvasive, so there is no need for scraping a portion of the enamel to make way for the sealants. An etching solution is used to roughen the surface slightly, it ensures the proper bond of the material to the child’s treated tooth for a secured attachment.
- The tooth will then be rinsed and dried in preparation for the application of the material.
- The sealant can be a clear or tooth-colored solution to resemble the original color of the natural teeth. It is applied by brushing the solution to the deep grooves and pits to flatten or smoothen the surface for easy access.
- It can be left to dry, or special blue light can be used to harden the material.
- Necessary adjustments can be performed by the dentist to make sure that the sealant will not affect the child’s proper occlusion.
Benefits of Dental Sealants
- The main benefit of Sealants for children is to prevent the damage of the Molars which are the teeth used for chewing foods. It covers the deep grooves and pits of the teeth for easy access when cleaning to prevent tooth decay and cavities.
- By preventing decays, it also helps in the maintenance of the overall dental health for children to avoid any other dental complications.
- The procedure is safe and comfortable since it does not involve the need for teeth scraping which could be uncomfortable for children.
- Its placement can be completed in a single visit, and with proper care, it can last for several years before reapplication.
- Proper dental hygiene and care are highly effective for the maintenance of the child’s dental health since there are no missed places that can harbor harmful bacterias that can cause damage.
Get added protection to your teeth with Teeth Sealing in Sugar Land, TX! Book your appointment with Sweetpea Smiles! Our dental office is located at 15850 Southwest Fwy #400 Sugar Land TX 77478.